Here are some common ways to commit “career suicide”
- Saying the wrong thing.
- Saying the right thing but in a wrong way.
- Saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.
- Saying the right thing at the wrong moment.
Life in the corporate world can be dangerous and people learn to navigate the dangers by watching what they say, how they say it, when they say it and who they say it to.
Sometimes they do it so often that it becomes second nature, like breathing.
When this survival behavior appears in Idea Gen the results are generally very poor, and the only way to handle it is by making it very clear to everyone that the following rules apply:
- Nothing is out of bounds
- Nothing that you say will be held against you
- The quality of your comments is not being evaluated by your Peers or your Supervisor.
The “safer” the session, the better the ideas.